Sunday, March 1, 2009

I've Accepted It...Sigh

I'm OLD. Ancient crone old. Dried up prune hag old.

I used to be the girl who rocked out. I loved concerts. Loved them so much that my hearing is now compromised. I'd sing, I'd dance, I'd jump, and I'd scream. Lord, did I scream. If you could talk the day after a concert, you just weren't doing it right.

My family loves to go to a concert tour every year called Winter Jam. A roster of 5 or 6 Christian artists comes to the local NBA arena, and it's always a fun time. Lately, the artists have been a little more hard-core rocknrolla, and I found out something.

I'd rather be home having a nap.

One of the bands, Hawk Nelson, had a light show. The lights started flashing- not slow enough to be ignored, not fast enough to be a strobe. My vision was blurring slightly, and I got dizzy. I felt like one of those Japanese kids that watch the fast cartoons and have seizures.

The volume was as loud as it always has been, I guess, but it affected me more than it used to. The bass THRUM THRUM THROB practically reset my heart rate. I felt sorry for the people who had pacemakers; they were probably twitching for hours afterward.

And of course, we sat right in front of an entire row of teenage girls. Why do girls scream? I did it. If you're a girl, chances are you did it too. I don't remember hitting decibels unknown to man, however. During intermission, I jokingly told them they had really good lungs. One girl smiled and said, "Oh, did you hear us?"

I did at first, but not by the last act. I had given up hearing by then to concentrate on voluntary brain functions without pain.

My husband had deserted us much earlier, since he's smarter than I am. When I joined him outside on the concourse, wonder of wonders! I can actually hear the music! I can understand the artists when they speak! In the arena, I basically got "GARGLEBLARKFOOSTUSDOO OKLAHOMA CITY!"

If there had just been a video feed somewhere, it would have been perfect. That, and a small drink that didn't cost six dollars.

6 comments:

Missie said...

my poor little friend! good thing you have a computer so that you can at least communicate with others today...i don't think you know sign language, right?

be watching my blog later today for an update on what we last discussed.

Elizabeth said...

I still can scream like that, but only once--and I pay for it for days afterward!

Robyn said...

*signs HI to Missie*

How was the trip?

Beth, I can't get quite as high as I used to- I'm in a lower register now.

writtenwyrdd said...

Oh those crazy christian rock fans. Earplugs at concerts are a must. But I know what you mean about getting old because you don't want to do all the stuff that used to seem important, a must do. I go to bed at nine most nights because I want to.

Robyn said...

Oh, Written, I get you. I used to be such a night owl, but now it's 10:30 and I'm yawning.

clayts said...
This comment has been removed by the author.