Sunday, October 5, 2008

On The Clear Understanding That This Kind Of Thing Can Happen

My daughter and I watched The King and I yesterday. Oh, how big is my love for Yul Brenner! Vengeful Pharaoh, magnificent gunfighter, or rogue robot, I adored him. The King of Siam is probably my favorite Brenner role, largely because of the Shall We Dance number. He is arrogance and innocence, a stubborn boy and a powerful man. And when he pins Deborah Kerr with that intense stare, and reaches for her waist very slowly- swoon. That moment is more romantic, more breathtaking, and frankly, hotter than the last eighty-five romances I’ve read. Sometimes I think we’ve lost those beautiful moments in our preoccupation with thundering breastplates and pebbled nubbins and moisture.

Shall we dance?

3 comments:

StarvingWriteNow said...

Pebbled nubbins...SNORT!!!

I agree with you. And having locked eyes with a certain someone the other day and feeling my heart stop in my chest for a second... that ~zing!~ is way hotter than burgeoning flesh, IMO.

Robyn said...

"Burgeoning flesh."

Dude, that sounds more like a bad sci fi flick every time I read it.

Kimber Li said...

Well, you know how I feel about Yul. Is it getting hot in here or is it just me?